CBD is the hottest new health and wellness trend that has been exploding in popularity throughout the United States over the past year or 2. CBD is literally available for sale in every gas station, head shop, and touristy shop in my city, so coming across CBD itself is an easy task, but finding a high quality product for a cheap price can be difficult.
Since there is an influx of new CBD brands, companies, and websites popping up every single day, it can be difficult to even know where to begin when it comes to buying CBD oil. Some companies rip you off by adding less CBD than what it advertised on their products while others rip you off buy gauging you on the price. Knowing all of this some people would rather just make their own CBD oil rather than buying it from a store, and that can definitely help you save money and control the quality if you have a supply on industrial hemp or CBD rich bud.
How do you make CBD oil at home?
There are a few different ways to make CBD oil or extract CBD from hemp or a cannabis plant so I will cover the most common and cost efficient methods to making your own cannabidiol oil at home.
Before getting started there is something that you need to be made aware of, and that is the fact that the quality of the cannabis or hemp that you begin with will greatly dictate the quality of the final product. With that being said, make sure that you find some high quality material to start with from a reputable dealer, or grow it yourself to alleviate all worry.
Here are the steps to making your own CBD oil via “The Carrier” or “The Oil” method:
- Take your high quality cannabis or hemp and go through the process of decarboxylating your product. To do so, spread your product evenly on a baking sheet and place it in the oven at 220 degrees for 90 minutes. For those that don’t know, this process activates the cannabinoids within the plant.
- Use a grinder to grind your decarboxylated material.
- Place the grinder material into a mason jar and use your carrier oil of choice to saturate the material. I prefer to use coconut oil when making my own cbd oil from home.
- Once the saturation has occurred, it is now time to bring the oil and material mixture to a boil. Make sure that the lid of the mason jar is secured tightly so that no water contaminates your mix.
- Use a double boiler and reach a temperature of 200 degrees Fahrenheit and place your jar with your mixture inside into the top boiler.
- Let the jar with your mix sit in the double boiler for 3-4 hours and check it regularly to make sure there’s enough water still.
- Let the jar sit out at room temperature now for 3-4 hours, and then repeat steps #5/#6.
- After it cools for the final time, take your mixture and filter the oil through a cheesecloth to separate the solid material from your oil.
- Your CBD oil is ready to use! Make sure to store in a cool, dark, and dry place.
This is the easiest and most cost efficient way to make your own CBD oil from home!